Am I Covered?

We find that most of the property owners we talk to don’t realise that their existing buildings insurance policy provides cover for damage to septic tanks, soakaways, cesspits and sewage treatment plants. Many people think that they need specific septic tank insurance, but this isn’t actually the case.

Most buildings insurance policies do actually cover septic tank problemsor damage to other drains and drainage systems under an area within the policy called `accidental damage to underground services’. Insurance policies can be tricky things to understand though, and it might not be obvious where to find information about whether or not you are covered. Check out our article about septic tank insurance cover here, this might help to point you in the right direction.

What counts as accidental damage?

Accidental damage in itself can be a confusing term, but put as simply as possible, it means anything unforeseen that hasn’t been caused on purpose. The problem, of course, is that the definition or interpretation of accidental damage can vary from insurer to insurer. Add to that the problem that septic tanks and other drainage systems are under the ground, so often it’s not clear what’s happened to cause any problems.

This can all lead to some very technical discussions with insurers, and is the reason why we would always recommend that you work with a specialist septic tank claims management company* if you have any problems with your system.

We're here to help

You can call us, have an online chat, or simply fill in your details and we'll get back to you ASAP.

Give our team a call

At UKDP, we are the only company that specialises in managing insurance claims for septic tanks and other off mains drainage systems. Give our friendly team a call today if you’re having any septic tank problems, we’d be happy to help. We can check your buildings insurance policy and find out more about the problems you’ve been having, to see if you might be covered.

If there are problems that we think would be covered by your buildings insurer, we can manage everything on your behalf, and the only cost to you would be any excess due on your policy.

If you’re interested to know what types of problems are typically covered by insurers, check out our guide to the ten most common septic tank problems here. As a general guide, the first six problems are typically covered.

*us, we mean us! Naturally there are other claims management companies out there, but we don’t think you’d find anyone who would look after your insurance claim for a damaged off mains drainage system as well as we would.

0800 028 9903